Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Linking up


I've been having a serious go today at updating my LinkedIn presence - and it has proved to be a great way to get back in touch with people again. Actually, I was prompted by someone else asking to link to me, but it has been well worth the last hour spent bringing some more contacts on board and tidying up various bits and pieces of my networking presence - I even got my first recommendation (having always been too shy to ask in the past), so thanks Pauline at RBS.


Like most freelancers I'm talking to at the moment, my work situation isn't great. In fact, hearing about the jobless figures spiralling towards two million today made me think that very many self-employed people are the silent jobless at present. In theory we're employed by our companies, but if we're one or two-person operations, and there's little or no work coming in, we're as good as unemployed. Thankfully things aren't that bad here - work's slow, but at least I've got meetings in the diary and know that I'll be able to get at least a couple of invoices out this month.


And today's LinkedIn effort has already led to a couple more meetings. That may not lead to anything, but hey, if you don't try, there's no chance of getting anywhere.

No comments: