Friday, August 11, 2006

Listen to what I say? Better to look at what I do.

I've been working with a company on service excellence. For years their directors have talked a good game, but their actions have been totally out of kilter with their words.

Over the last 18 months, some new faces near the top have started to change the way the business operates. Rather than stick to the 'motherhood and apple pie' values they've talked about but then ignored, they've worked with their employees to build values that have life within the business and both reflect reality and give something to aspire to.

More importantly the company has stopped talking to customers and suppliers about its commitment to service. Instead, they're letting their actions speak for them.

It strikes me that the companies who talk most about their customer focus often deliver least.

Tell me you're committed to customer service and I'll think you may protest too much. Show me and I'll find you far more credible.

No comments: