Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Just the average insecurity

I seem to be spending more time on pitching than doing at the moment. One biggish project has been held up while the technical architecture of a web site is sorted out, while a piece of change work is taking a little longer to get up to speed than I'd originally hoped.

In the meantime I'm trying to market myself for short-term and writing pieces - while my partner is doing exactly the opposite. Next week she starts on a six month five-day-a-week contract with the prospect of it extending significantly longer.

Sod's law dictates that when I'm busy, I get a couple ofr quests a month for smaller, tactical pieces that I invariably have to turn down. But when I've got gaps between projects, no-one's in the hunt for someone to carry out that job that'll take only a day or three.

I hate not having enough to do. Even though I know that I've got two days in Ireland on a project next week, and other stuff that'll kick in shortly afterwards, I'm not enjoying this week. I'm not good at managing quiet time - it must be catholic guilt about not working or something.

Oh well, I better get back to polishing my latest pitch... for about the fourth time this week, and it's only Tuesday.

No comments: